Program will open for entries on April 23, 2018
2018 Remodeling Design Awards
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email’s safe senders list to receive updates about your application
The Remodeling Design Awards (RMDA) is a prestigious, national competition. Award winners will be featured in the October issue of Remodeling, online at Remodeling's website, and on our social media pages. There is no minimum or maximum number of awards in each category. One project will be chosen as "Project of the Year."
Remodeling contractors, architects, builders, developers, planners, kitchen and bath specialists, and other remodeling professionals may submit projects completed after June 1, 2016. Any projects submitted for the awards that were completed before June 1, 2016 will be automatically disqualified. Hanley Wood employees, their relatives, and regular contributors to the magazine are not eligible.
Entries must be original in all respects, and by submitting your entry, you represent and warrant that no part of the entry was taken from or based on any other work such that th e entry infringes on the intellectual property rights of any person.
- Whole-house remodeling: Renovations that encompass more than 50% of a house; may include additions.
- Additions: The addition of a room or rooms to an existing structure.
- Commercial remodeling: The renovation of light commercial and other non-residential structures.
- Historically sensitive renovation: Not preservation projects, but projects on residences built before 1950 that elevate and enhance a structure’s historical spirit while incorporating design that satisfies current lifestyle needs.
- Kitchen remodeling: A substantially redesigned and/or reconstructed kitchen.
- Bathroom remodeling: A substantially redesigned and/or reconstructed bathroom.
- Basement remodeling: A substantially redesigned and/or reconstructed basement.
- Residential exterior remodeling: Renovations that enhance a residence’s overall exterior. Projects may include additions such as porches, conservatories, and decks as well as recladding.
- Specialty remodel: This includes three subcategories: Green Remodeling, a project that uses innovative sustainable techniques and achieves high environmental and design standards; Universal Design, a project designed with UD principles that achieves high accessibility and design standards; Interior Detail: A specific element of a project, e.g., trim, carpentry, stairs, cabinetry, etc., that demonstrates a high level of design and craftsmanship.
June 1, 2018 → Register, upload materials and pay the early bird rate of $149
June 15, 2018 → Submission deadline for late entries. The fee is $175
*No refunds will be issued*
How To Prepare Your Entry
Entering the RMDAs is completely digital. Please use either Chrome or Firefox as your browser when registering and completing the forms.
You can register, complete your entry forms, and upload your entry materials (including images, descriptions, and documentation) by submitting everything through this website in a three-step process:
STEP ONE: Registration & Payment - Register each of your projects and pay entry fees.
*Note: It is only after you pay the entry fee that you will be able to upload details about your project.
STEP TWO: Project Information - Fill out online entry forms with the information below
- Basic information – square footage, style of home, etc.
- Participant’s Information – Architect, contractor, designer, etc. information
- Project Narrative – describe your project in as much detail as possible
- Project Images – High resolution images of your projects (see image requirements below)
- Product Information – fixtures, countertops, hardware, doors, flooring, etc.
*Note: During this step, you will be able to save your work and modify your entry at a later date.
STEP THREE: Submission – Finalize and submit your entries. Once you finalize and submit an entry, you will not be able to edit it further.
Notification: Winners will be notified in July. Winners may be asked for additional product-related information about their winning projects.
Publishing Rights: Images of winning projects will be used online in conjunction with the Remodeling Design Awards and may be published in Remodeling magazine and in a collection of award-winning designs, posted on our website, shared on our social media pages, and published in marketing materials for future Remodeling Design Awards. All other uses will require the photographer’s express permission.
Confidentiality: The RMDAs are judged blindly. Therefore, company and/or individual names may not appear on any image, floor plan or other material to be judged. Company and/or individual names may appear only on the Participant Information Sheets.
Photograph and Plan/Drawing Requirements
Upload interior and exterior images of the remodel that depict the scope and nature of the project.
Please include at least two (2) BEFORE images. Any format is acceptable including photographs, color or black and white copies, snapshots, etc.
Please include four (4) to eight (8) professional quality AFTER images. These images must be in color, at least 300 DPI (dots per inch), 8”x10” in size, and in JPG format.
Plans and Drawings:
Each entry must have before and after floor plans, elevations or other drawings sufficient to illustrate the project’s scope. Floor plans should be presentation style and labeled with room dimensions. Plans can be in JPG or PDF format